Thank you participants, volunteers and sponsors for making the first annual race a success. We've got lots of ideas on how to make it an even better event next year! A little rain couldn't dampen our spirits! Thank you all for your support!
A special thank you to our volunteer photographer
Omar Osorio of Yoyi Photo Studio!
Click on the races below to view photos from this momentous day. Contact Omar if you are interested in getting high resolution copies of your photos!
General Family/Public Safety Masters W 50+ Masters W 40's Masters M 60+
Masters M 40-59 Open - Women (All) Open - Men (All)
Montclair Proudly Presents the
FIRST ANNUAL MIDLAND AVENUE MILE!
August 21, 2016 | Sunday, 5:00 pm
USATF-NJ OPEN & MASTERS CHAMPIONSHIP EVENT
Tree lined, newly paved, flanked by historic homes with great front porches, Midland Avenue is the center of Montclair, New Jersey. The urban-suburban town was named one of three 2015 winners of the National Main Street Center's Great American Main Street Award. What better way to get acquainted with one of America's most walkable, attractive downtowns with a lively arts, shopping and restaurant scene than to join our ONE MILE RUN! With multiple divisions and a summer block party atmosphere this event is for everyone!
Join the after party! Gelotti's is bringing Italian Ice! New Jersey Beer Company is providing beer! Montclair Bread Company is offering doughnuts. Just Jakes has a reduced menu! And we've got lots more goodies and fun!
The one mile, slight upgrade, point-to-point straight-away route with NO TURNS is perfect for elite runners, joggers, walkers and the family stroller. Race divisions will be running in 10 minute increments.
RACE DIVISIONS & AWARDS
- The family that runs together...has fun together! This category is perfect for active families who want to experience the race together. Perfect for runners with strollers! All members must register individually.*
- Kids 12 and under receive a registration discount.
- Calling all police officers, firefighters, marshals, correction officers and rescue squads! Team up to find out who can lay down the fastest 1 mile run! The team with the lowest cumulative score wins a team prize AND bragging rights until next year! All members must register individually.*
- Which team will win the inaugural "MIDLAND CUP AWARD?" The challenge is on!!!
- This category is reserved for milers age 40 and over.*
- Prizes will be awarded to Age Group Winners.
- Prizes will be awarded to the Top 5 Overall USATF-NJ Men & Women. (age graded for Masters only) $150, $125, $100, $75, $50 respectively
- Perfect for the recreational runner! Register and see just how fast you can run this 1 mile course.*
- Prizes will be awarded to the Top 3 Overall Men & Women plus Age Group Awards.
- Prizes will be awarded to the Top 5 Overall USATF-NJ Men & Women. $150, $125, $100, $75, $50 respectively
*All divisions are eligible for overall age group prizes.
- IN-STORE RACE REGISTRATION available during Packet Pick Up on Friday & Saturday - $30
- RACE DAY REGISTRATION available from 1:30pm to 4pm at FLEET FEET SPORTS - $30
- EARLY ENTRY FEES (BEFORE FRIDAY, August 19th)
- $25 per entrant
- $15 Kids 12 and under
- $22 USATF Member - Member number MUST be provided
- AVAILABLE AT FLEET FEET MONTCLAIR
- FRIDAY, AUGUST 19, 2016, 3:00pm TO 8:00pm
- SATURDAY, AUGUST 20, 2016, 10:00am TO 5:00pm
- SUNDAY, AUGUST 21, 2016 RACE DAY
- at FLEET FEET SPORTS, 1:30pm to 4pm
- POST RACE FESTIVITIES near finish line at Midland Avenue and Portland Place
- FOOD ~ ENTERTAINMENT ~ RAFFLES ~ BEER PROVIDED BY NJ BREWING COMPANY
- NIKE TENT....visit our SPONSOR!
- RACE TEE-SHIRT guaranteed for all runners who register by August 1, 2016
- and much more...we've only just begun!!!
EVENT START TIME
Race will start promptly at 5:00 pm with individual heats running in approximately 10 minute increments*. Divisions will run in the following order:
- Family & Public Service - 5:00 pm
- Masters - 5:30 pm (starting with Men's 60+, Women's 50+, Men's 50, etc. - running in 10 minute increments in descending age order)
- Open - 6:20 pm (3 heats Men and Women combined: 8:00 min pace +; 6:01-8:00 min pace; 6:00 min & faster)
*Start times and heats are approximate and subject to change.
- begins at approximately 6:30 pm - Near the finish line and post-race festivities
We are proud to join in partnership with sponsors who care deeply about the health and wellness of our community. If you would like join our team of amazing sponsors, CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ON MIDLAND AVENUE MILE SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES.
Drs. Joseph Mason III & Daniel Leitman
If you would like to volunteer for the Midland Avenue Mile, please email Loren at email@example.com.
TRANSPORTATION, PARKING, STREET CLOSURE
We highly encourage carpooling or bicycling to the event. Since the course is point-to-point, parking mid-route is logical. You'll have a short warm-up walk to the start and an evening stroll after the post-race festivities. Remember that Midland Avenue will be closed to traffic from Bloomfield Avenue to Watchung Avenue for approximately 4 hours.
Street Closures and Resident Parking: "No Parking Zones" along the course will be enforced beginning Sunday, August 21st, at a specified time TBA. Please look for "NO Parking " signs in your area for full details. Neighborhood residents will be notified of street closures along the route a few days prior to the event. City streets will re-open promptly as the final runners pass through. The Montclair Police Department will be responsible for closing and re-opening streets. They will do so in a manner ensuring runner and spectator safety. Please follow their instructions when approaching streets on the course. Please do NOT attempt to block the race course at any time.
The Midland Avenue Mile will take place rain or shine. If cancellation of the event is warranted due to dangerous weather conditions, announcements will be made race day at the race site. The event will not be canceled in advance. All decisions regarding cancellation will be made on site, race day.
EVENT CONTACT INFORMATION
Questions? Contact Loren McCreesh at firstname.lastname@example.org or Paul Giuliano at email@example.com